Thursday, March 23, 2006

Seven

Ever since 9/11, I've held onto a low-grade conspiracy theory. Do I feel a little silly about? Of course. But I've seen nothing to prove me wrong, and only more questions seem to arise.

It's this: World Trade Center 7 collapsed on purpose.

I remember watching it fall on TV, late in the day. After the attacks, all day, it had been One Liberty Plaza they were discussing, talking about it's structural soundness. Then, all of a sudden, the narrative changed, and an hour or so later, WTC 7 came down, while the much taller, presumably more damaged One Liberty continued to stand. Since then, experts who've watched he videotape say the collapse looks just like a controlled demolition. Occupying space in 7 were the CIA, the Secret Service, the IRS, the SEC and a whole cache of gold. Strange, n'est pas?

Last week, New York magazine had a pretty interesting article called "The Ground Zero Grassy Knoll" that explores some of these coincidences and the people researching them. Honestly, they seem like well-meaning folks wearing tin-foil beanies. But I highly recommend the read. It brought up new paranoid weirdness I hadn't even considered.

Like I said, I feel pretty silly about conspiracy theories, but can you Spot the Boeing?