Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Shafted

Vacaying on the Continent is one of life's little joys. (Can I get an amen?)

I just recently got back from way too long in Spain. I basically managed to hit every town of note below Madrid, with a brief respite to the UK by waltzing into Gibraltar. The only thing that spoilt my unbridled enjoyment was seeing this advertising campaign in every town I visited:

(click for a larger view)


They all say "Your euro goes further in New York" and then demonstrate the insane extravagances you -- a blue collar Spanish street sweeper -- will be able to afford in cheap, cheap Nueva York. Basically it was a daily reminder of how I was being shafted on my bocadilla de casa.

My question to the 2008 candidates: What are you going to do about this? I want four forks and someone to feed me grapes! I would hate to suffer through a Cold War era luxury gap! Listen up guys (and gal) -- this is a litmus test issue for Staying West! I look forward to hearing your plans.