Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Remind me....

...never to go to nytimes.com before settling in to watch the Olympics. They totally gave away what I'm going to have to wait until 11:50pm to watch on NBC.



Of course, because of my (life changing) DVR, I'm going to watch the games timeshifted to avoid the ads. Which is kind of funny -- in that the Olympics coverage (whenever the Games weren't in this hemisphere) was the original timeshifted content. Remember, like, Lilleheimer? In those pre-internet days, you weren't gonna know who triple-lutzed and who didn't until NBC told you. You weren't watching it live, you were watching it at a more convenient time (ie, in prime-time).

Unlike, fer instance, the Superbowl, which must be watched live. Or those guys who go to pubs at 4 AM to watch soccer matches in the UK. We've grown up with the Olympics being distilled, chopped together and given narrative in post. And generally, that's how I like my sports: post-produced. Maybe that's why I can't stop watching....even if I know what's going to happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home