Monday, May 22, 2006

The Best Thing My Father Has Ever Said

Much like myself, my father thinks he's right about pretty much everything, and enjoys telling my mom when she's wrong. He has a certain kind of smugness when correcting here, that I wish I could replicate here. You really had to be on the phone to fully appreciate it, but (especially those of you who've met my conservative, Texas-bred parents), try to imagine this discourse:

My Mom: Guess what movie we watched last weekend?
Me: Uhhhhh...I dunno...Brokeback Mountain.
My Mom: You guessed it!
Me: Really? Wow. Hunh. What did you think when Dad brought that home from the video store?
My Dad: I didn't.
My Mom: No, I got it from the library. I saw it there and realized if I didn't bring it home first, your father would spend $4.99 to rent it...so I figured I should just get it.
Me: Never woulda guessed. What did you think?
My Mom: My stomache was churning the whole time -- sometimes I couldn't watch.
My Dad: I thought it was a "tender love story" (blazing sarcasm).
My Mom: Now, Geoff, did you think Ennis was actually straight?
(a beat)
Me: Uhhhh....no. What do you mean?
My Mom: Well, he was forced to do those things by the other one -- the one who always had his eye on the men.
Me: He wasn't forced to do anything.
My Mom: Ennis got raped by him in the beginning.
(a beat)
My Dad: Ennis was on top, dear.

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.


(Also amazing is that my mom watched the whole movie thinking that Heath Ledger was the victim of Jake Gyllenhaal -- kinda funny, but also kinda sad.)

3 Comments:

  • At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, can you blame her? Heath has that beautiful arian glow like both her beloved boys. Her beloved and Jesus fearing boys wouldn't bugger another man!

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't quite picture Pat sitting down to watch it. I'm almost more shocked by that while also being wildly amused by you anecdote

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The only thing Heath Ledger was a victim of is Jake's inferior acting ability.

    Oh! Oh, snap! Oh, dag! Oh, no she din't!

    Oh, yes. She did.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home