Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Paper or plastic

A few weeks ago, I swallowed my pride and went into the churning clanging clusterfuck that is the 14th St. Trader Joe's. Being new to whole experience, and a little overwhelmed by the clanging and churning, I managed to get out of there with little more than a burrito and some chocolate pussy.


At the checkout, I was asked a question I don't remember hearing in years -- "Paper or plastic?". I seriously thought that query had gone the way of the dodo (and the macarena and flannel "grunge" shirts and Kato Kaelin) But apparently not according to California-based TJ's....it was still something worthy of making me expend precious energy to think about and then vocalize a response.

Now, because I haven't actually gotten a paper bag from a grocery store in NYC for about 6 years, I muttered, "Plastic is fine". Which, to me, it was. I then realized everyone else was getting paper. If 98% of your clientele want the same thing, why even ask? And, seriously, I thought this debate had been settled a long time ago. What I recalled (and I believe this is the accepted knowledge) is that paper took more energy to produce -- polluting the air, but plastic took less energy to manufacture, but didn't decompose well -- polluting to ground. Basically, it's a zero sum game -- either way, your fucked. Why even ask?

I bring this up, only because I hope my good friend Ann will explore this in her new earth-mother/Mother Earth blog Eco-Chick. Definitely chick check it out.

(photo shameless stolen from someone's flickr stream.)

6 Comments:

  • At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's all about illusion. Companies like Trader Joes know that their main clientel, in some ways, is like you and I. People to whom saving the enviorment sounds like a nice idea, but frequently it doesn't make the short list of priorities, but yummy treats do.

    They sell you nice ideas with your organic cookies and hope that it makes you forget that they're in it for the money first (like any other smart, well marketed company). They'd also like you to forget that, despite the fact that they only had 25% of what you went in to buy, your cart is now full of shit you didn't need or want before you went in. And luckily for TJs, most New Yorkers will forget both things before they're out the door.

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Geoff G. said…

    Not really. If TJ's really cared (or wanted to pretend to care) they'd fucking pick one, explain why it's best in a cutesy rhyming sign and be done with it. Instead, they've fallen into this 1995 environmentalist trap of making the consumer choose....because back in 1995 a bunch of crunchy people and cutsey school kids said the big evil grocery companies needed to offer choice. But that's before people really thought about the things mentioned in my post. In 2006, I don't feel like I'm making an informed decision about the environment, nor do i feel better about it. In fact, I think not picking one and going with it shows an extreme lack of vision. At least of Whole Foods, they have signs plastered everywhere about how they'll deduct $.05 from your total if you BYOBag.

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Brianna said…

    cloth bags. Which are big at TJs -- i have two at home. I don't think the "paper or plastic" choice is meant to have anything to do with environmental ideals -- some people like paper better, end of story.

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Geoff G. said…

    But do some people like plastic better, always ask for plastic and would balk at paper? I doubt it.

    Actually, given time to think about, I'd like if TJs did what happens in Japan -- all you shit wrapped in paper, then put in a paper bag, then put in a transparent plastic bag...and then, if they are feeling ambitious, wrapped with string.

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to say you missed my point entirely. If TJs did pick one, I'm sure it wouldn't be so terrible or even blog worthy, people frequently simply take what's offered to them. The fact that a choice is offered is where their brilliant marketing team comes in.

    The option allows customer A to pick plastic because she re-uses them in her home as trash bags & she knows that paper bags are made from mostly virgin pulp & take just as much energy to produce as the plastic version. Customer A can look across the isle and feel superior to customer B who takes the paper option. But customer B feels smug about her choice b/c plastic bags aren't bio degradable & are clogging our landfills. Then Brianna can sweep past both A & B with the Snow White confidence of being the smuggest one of all as she clutches her canvas bags.

    Trader Joes knows that this scenario makes everyone feel good about themselves, despite the fact that no one is actually superior to anyone else (except for Brianna, who plans ahead) and that's very good for business.

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home