Saturday, September 09, 2006

Impoliteness

Back when I started this little navel-gaze, I believe I promised "impolite Park Slope brunch reviews". (Or something to that effect.) There haven't really been many of those yet. That is about to change...somewhat.

Tonight, I went to the very yummy Yamato on 7th Ave. Bri and I, fresh off our Vegas King Crab GorgeTM, ordered the very yummy Red and White Roll (A dinner special only for this week -- hurry!). It's king crab bits with avocado, tuna and white tuna on top.

Seriously, it was very good.

But...

...we wondered, what is this "white tuna"? Isn't the regular (red) tuna just plain old tuna? The only other tuna I know of is yellowtail. This white tuna is neither. Nevertheless, we contentedly ate our (Did I mention it was very yummy?) Red and White Roll.

Fast forward to five minutes ago. "Huh, I wonder what that white tuna is? I wonder how it's differant than normal tuna?" The answer came via the always (somewhat) reliable Wikipedia:


"White tuna" is Escolar, a snake mackerel found in deep (200–885 m) tropical and temperate waters around the world. It is also sold as "butterfish", "oilfish," and "Hawaiian butter fish".

Wow. A mackerel. The thing is -- I love mackerel. And in fact, I recognized the taste of the "white tuna" as something I love to get when I order an unidentifiable Sushi Deluxe assortment.



Imagine my surprise when I get to this part of the Wikipedia entry:

Like its relative the oilfish, Ruvettus pretiosus, the escolar is consumed in several European and Asian countries, as well as in the USA. Neither fish metabolises the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in their diet, which causes an oil content in the muscle meat of the fish amounting to 18–21%. These wax esters may rapidly cause gastrointestinal symptoms following consumption; however, these effects are usually short lived. The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhoea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil. The discharge can stain clothing and occur without warning 30 minutes to 36 hours after consuming the fish. The oil may pool in the rectum and cause frequent urges for bowel movements due to its lubricant qualities and may be accidentally discharged by the passing of gas. Symptoms may occur over a period of one or more days. Other symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting. Some suggestions for avoiding the ruining of clothing and embarrassment, for both males and females, include use of strategically placed feminine hygiene products (e.g. panty liners) during the course of symptoms.

Well, shit.

Literally.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home